Wednesday, July 20

USA: Chapter 5 - The Great New York City Hike

Yesterday was a tiring day, no doubt, and today Pammie would be leaving to go home from JFK. But we had till 11.30 to check out so we took our own sweet time. After all, Pammie only had to leave for the airport around 12. And I was still unsure of how to survive the day with my huge luggage.

The tentative plan, for me, was to store away the big backpack at a luggage storing facility, and then go around with the smaller luggage for the rest of the day. I could have easily stored the luggage at the hostel, but it was all the way in Brooklyn. And as we found out from the last few days, there is nothing in Brooklyn. I mean, I didn't want to go all the way back to Brooklyn just to collect my bags and then all the way back to Manhattan to take the night bus to Niagara Falls. After storing the luggage away, I would be freed up to do anything I like.

So we start the day, me donning my new ubuntu t-shirt for the first time. Exiting the hostel, it gets its first like. Apparently it's normal in America to tell someone that. "I like your shirt... "

At Morgan Avenue, we split; Pammie was going eastward towards JFK and I was going westward towards Manhattan.

And so I was finally alone.

I wouldn't actually be alone for that long, perhaps a few hours only, since Nat and Mat would be coming into New York from Boston at 6pm. They would only be here for a night and would have to fly off to Chicago the next morning.

Anyway, back to being alone.

As planned, I stopped at 34th Street to drop off my luggage. I had found the place, Schwarz Luggage Storage or something like that, on the website. But I walked and walked along 34th Street but I couldn't find the place. Maybe the website was outdated. That's the problem with the internet, archaic remains of websites sometimes aren't taken down.

Then it turned out that I had been walking along 34th Street, and the place was on 36th. Too bad I discovered this after I embarrassed myself by asking a receptionist at one of the buildings on 34th. And I had to apologise to the Internet. Anyway the place was quite shady, but still, can't ask for too much. I could dump my bags off there and walk relatively freely then on. I say relatively because I was too cheap to spend another $7 on storing my other bag. Besides, it could be wheeled around, so there was no problem.

Still a little paranoid I went to the Port Authority Bus Terminal to check out where I'd be taking the bus from later. It turned out that I could actually collect my ticket, so I did. It also turned out that I could have just left my luggage with the greyhound luggage storage people. Same price.

So, in general, all things settled. Now, I was free.

One thing that I didn't get to do, which I wanted to do, if you recall, was visit the Natural History Museum. Now, that's on 81st Street. I was on 36th. So after weighing in the pros and cons of walking there (save $2.25 vs wasting a lot of time and energy) I decided to walk.

After what felt like forever I finally reached Central Park, at Columbus Circle. I was shouting 'Hooray!' for a bit before I realised that I'd only completed half the journey. So I just pacified myself with kebab rice, again, and walked into Central park to sit down on a bench and eat.

Once again, it was disappointing. Perhaps the one at Walls Street really was that good. I shall recommend it. Its at the further end towards the water along Walls Street. I think the second last stall before you reach the water.

Anyway, back to Central Park. Needed to get moving again otherwise I'd be late to meet Nat and Mat.

Another half length of Central Park and I was finally outside the Natural History Museum. Again. But this time I had the time to go in.

Apparently there is a completely variable entrance fee/contribution to enter the museum, but I paid the suggested price, $12. I think just being Asian entitles me to paying half that amount, though. As I think most of my Asian brethren would testify to.

I walked slowly around the ground floor - Asian and African mammals and civilisations. Only the curator knows why it's grouped that way. As a builder of my own civilisations, I could empathise and understand very well what went through the process of building the civilisations. In fact, under the african civilisations section, one of my favourite civilisations, the Malinese Civilisation, was on display.




I think ever since I started playing Civilisations, I can never study History.

Next to some exhibit of a Chinese man, I finally decided to rest on a seat. And pulled out my map of the Museum. And realised that there was more than one floor in the museum. But time was already running thin; I wanted to avoid the rush hour jam going down to Penn Station.

The dinosaur exhibits for which this museum is so famous for was all the way on the top floor. So I decided to give the other floors a miss (American Mammals, Birds etc) and head straight up to the dinosaurs.


Amazingly I realised that some things have changed since the last time I learnt about dinosaurs. Like they have realised that stegosaurus's plates are probably not a defence mechanism like previously assumed, but instead are there to regulate its body temperature.

However time and energy limitations made my rush through my visit to the dino exhibits, spending less time on it than on either the previous two exhibition halls.

It wasn't really time issue, to tell the truth. It was the energy issue. After all, I was lugging my bag all the way up from 34th Street to 81st Street. Under the hot sun. That does things to you. Tired, I got out of the Museum, having no more energy to find the spot featured in HIMYM where you can hear the whisper on the other side of the room. Go watch it, if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Anyway I sat down in Central Park again, resting, before finally gathering enough energy to overcome the energy barrier and get off my butt. Nat and Mat were already almost reaching Penn Station and I would have to contend with NYC rush hour traffic on the New York Subway.

Ultimately I reached a little late. I couldn't warn them ahead of time, because sadly for all the modernity that the USA enjoys, cell reception cannot penetrate the subway system. And I've finally truly appreciated Singapore phone services that you'll always be able to get, even if you're far underground.

And then I wasn't alone again.

Nat and Mat are my friends from CSS back in Singapore. I realise that I didn't mention this before, but most of the people who came to send me off at Changi were from CSS. Their operation 'send the Indian off to Amrika'. They didn't call it that, but I think it's more apt.

Anyway the reason I mention that is because Nat and Mat were in charge of operation 'welcome Ben to America'. And so they did.


We went for dinner (shepherds' pie) at a pub near the Empire State Building where I actually tasted non-bitter beer. Apparently they have this thing called barley wine. Which is like beer except perhaps higher alcoholic content. I got educated in beers abit by Mat; he's quite knowledgeable in the subject. I think I had a Pale Yale. Not bad. But I went through one beer while Mat went through 3. Not bad either.


I also came face to face with such strict laws against underage drinking, or rather, such strict enforcement of such laws. They even asked us for our ID. Apparently as long as you look below thirty they'll ask you. Also made me wonder why you have so many issues of underage drinking in the movies.

Maybe it's just the movies. Or maybe its the fact that its easier to be underage in America than in Singapore - the age limit is 21 as compared to 18 in Singapore.

I couldn't walk too much after that, so we just walked around a little, in the general direction of the baggage storage area. They had gone up on to the top of the rock when they came to NY earlier (like perhaps 5 days ago), and they said it was amazing. So that renewed my commitment to somehow get yp there.

Finally I collected my bags, and we walked the few streets to the Port Authority Bus Terminal. They waited with me for awhile, sitting on the steps so we couldn't see the no-sitting-on-steps sign, until about 10.30, before cabbing back to their hotel.

The bus had Wifi - I could imagine Henrik Larsson's face light up with delight. Mainly because mine did. However, the bus seats were just too damn comfortable, and so I fell asleep half an hour later. Perhaps it was the lethargy from all today's walking.

I woke up periodically waiting to transfer buses at some particular station - had no idea where but I was quite sure that I had to transfer somewhere. Ultimately my waking up again and again was unjustified because it was a straight bus to Niagara Falls.

Also, I realise that there's a good chance I would be returning from Buffalo using this same bus, since it passed through Buffalo as one of the stops. And also the fact that NYC was en route to Philadephia.

Anyway, it's morning in Niagara Falls; and time for the next chapter.

No comments: