Saturday, July 16

USA: Chapter 1 - First sights of New York


Day 1 passed by without event, by design. 20hours on board an aircraft does things to you. Strange things. I wonder how people survive the direct flight between Singapore and New York. Perhaps that's why they make that flight a purely Business Class flight.

SQ 026 touched down in New York about 20min ahead of schedule, but the apprehension regarding actually entering the country as a student (for the first time) kicked in. Fortunately the immigration officer was relatively nice, even if he did seem very sleepy. And my bags came out of the cabin relatively fast. So everything was going well. Which just means my apprehension was wasted.

I tried my level best not to look like a sotong upon exiting the customs, but apparently to no avail. But eventually, two helpful officers away, I found my way to the subway line. Even the subway train driver played his part to ensure my smooth arrival - he/she kept the train doors open for me.

And then, finally, something went wrong. As it turned out, subway L, which I had to take to the hostel, was not operational today due to construction works. So I was forced to take the shuttle bus provided to the stop. It wasn't easy to find the stop, but sooner rather than later, the road names began to look a little familiar. Getting of the packed shuttle bus with all my barang barang was another long story, but I hope New Yorkers are an understanding lot.

The sun was blazing hot when I got down - about average Singapore weather, so not as bad as Dresden in midsummer. But still, considering I was wearing about three layers, it was murder. I'm thankful there weren't that many people out and about on the streets, so I didn't get that many stares of incredulity.





Check in at the hostel was only at 3pm. 3am SGT, mind you. So I left my luggage at the hostel and asked for directions to a telecoms shop to buy a prepaid card for my stay in the US. It was, after all, the first thing on the itinerary.

The desk clerk printed out a map for me, clearly demarcating the 'shopping' zone (Graham Ave). It wasn't really a shopping zone, per se, but definitely was bustling with activity. Lots of Spanish activity.

In fact, you would be able to hear more Spanish than English. Why? Because I was now in the district of Puerto Rico.


And I've finally come to understand what is meant by the term cosmopolitan when it comes to describing New York. Paris, Berlin, Geneva teemed with immigrants. But it was always clear that they were immigrants. This, on the other hand, was a whole other thing. Cosmopolitan. I had just stepped into Central America.

Mind you, walking down the streets teeming with Hispanics was very unnerving, for some reason. Maybe the movies have brainwashed a certain stereotype into me.

*

By the time I returned to the hostel, it was already 2am in Singapore, 2pm in New York, and one hour to check in time. So I just sat in the hostel lobby with my WiFi and rested till 3pm.

After finally getting my bed and dumping my stuff on it, I realised that I was both hungry and tired. But I was ten times as tired as I was hungry. So I just rested in bed, not doing anything other than be chat online. By 6pm, I was asleep, sans dinner (or lunch, as I later realised). And so the first day was through.


No comments: